The first step FishWise takes in any retailer or distributor partnership is an environmental assessment of current inventory, which may include fresh, frozen, shelf-stable, deli, pet food and nutraceuticals.
This involves surveying a partner’s suppliers to obtain detailed information on their seafood products such as:
- Common and scientific name of the seafood species
- Country of origin and region where caught or farmed
- Fishing gear type or farm production method
- Any existing certifications and traceability measures
- Any fishery or aquaculture improvements projects (FIPs/AIPs)
Based on this information, FishWise can determine where a company’s seafood falls in the seafood sustainability continuum.
Follow the link to review further details of our Assessment Methods.